nav bar

Home Recipes Proud Moments About Me

Friday, November 2, 2012

isn't it ironic?

Hi friends.  How are you?  It's been a rough week.  You never know how you are going to react to life-altering news but you surprise yourself. Especially when people are counting on you.  You come through. Of course, all the Glory for the strength, peace and comfort are due to God's mercy.  I will focus on finding Joy in everday things rather than looking at the fear.

I am scheduled for a double mastectomy next week. I am happy for the demands of my job and the cool breeze on my face as I walk back and forth on campus. The leaves around here are just starting to change vibrant orange and brown.  I love Fall and all its temptations. Geez, I can't get enough of pumpkin this, pumpkin that...

Ironic
It's odd how I've been struggling with "hunger" and getting the scale number to climb downwards. All that fretting seems insignificant now. I laughed this morning, as I jumped on the scale and saw a 5lb loss. Hmm.  I usually eat during times of stress and it's having the opposite effect.  Ironic indeed.

Eating
That said, I have learned that eating healthy is important for my mind, body and spirt and so breakfasts are fruit, lunches are lots of green with good proteinm and dessert is banana, yogurt and almond butter. I know these foods are doing good things for me.... No need to change how I eat now.  My quest for a healthier life has taught me to be more active, more health-minded and I know so much more about food combinations.  All this will prepare me for a speedy recovery.

Goals
My goal in the months ahead is to be joyful and happy despite the challenges.  Isn't that a better than allowing "fear" to consume me? That's the power of the Lord. He is nourishing me spiritually.  Thanking him for that...

PSA
Do you mind me giving a PSA?
I was deligent about my mamograms.  My last mamogram was 6 months ago. It was a false negative. I never did breast examinations but I implore you to learn how and do them once a month.  It will make all the difference.  If you do not know how to do a breast exam, I'm sure if you google "breast exam" you will find instructions.  Just do it.

Blogging
I will continue to blog here.  I imagine my content will change so I understand if you do not read. Honestly, I don't want this to be a place for WOE IS ME.  However, I need to continue to write, cook and share my voice. 

Today's Joy
I decided to wear my new boots. I can't believe I found a pair that fit over my thick calves.  I decided to wear them and you know what? I feel pretty cool and almost trendy.  Finding joy in the small things.

Well, gotta get back to work. Later, gators.

5 comments:

  1. It's amazing how real problems immediately make things like the numbers on the scale seem so insignificant. I pray that you will come through this difficult time stronger and healthier than ever.

    Love the boots!

    God bless you. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you have to go through something like this. You are in my thoughts.

    I love the kick@ss boots! *GRIN*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paula, I've been reading your blog for ages, and haven't commented before. I saw your post the other day, and realized something serious was going on.
    You seem to have a great attitude, and that can be the most important thing.

    Best wshes from London.
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie, thank you so much for commenting. I appreciate your words of support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie, just found your blog. There are not a lot of "nifty fifty" active women in the blog world. Lol Love your attitude it rocks. Keep that pep in your step and blaze through in those gorgeous boots! Cindi http://relinquishtheweight.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete