nav bar

Home Recipes Proud Moments About Me

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Stepping Out

Hello, my morning started with a bowl of rolled oat, sunflower butter and a dollop of left over cranberry sauce. Yum.... How I missed my oats!  Afterwards, I showered and dressed. I made a "List of things to do before Chemo" and then I headed out to pick up my son to help me shop for those items.

Afterwards, we drove to West Sacramento where I grew up.  We decided to check out the newly opened restaurant named after my home town.  Pretty cool sign, don't you think?   Broderick is located right across the bridge from Old Sacramento.  It's a small community and a great place to grow up.  Especially since you're so close to the River.



Inside, the decor was pretty much your standard Pub/Bar/Grill. Except, the menu was based on the owner's well-known truck called Wicked Wich.  The truck and now the restaurant serves food Pittsburg style which means they  basically pile-on a meal between two buns and call it a day. My son said this style of sammies were geared towards the steel workers in Pittsburgh who wanted meals instead of your typical sandwhich.  

My son encouraged me to LIVE A LITTLE and so with much hesitation, I ordered the Johnny Cash. Ohmylordee.... whataburger.

There was apple smoked bacon, grilled onions and angus beef.  And the fries...  I'm speechless.


I was shocked that I was able to eat as much as I did. At least I left most of the fries, right?

We ate lunch at 12:30 pm. and it's after 6 p.m. as I write this post.  Gosh, I am still FULL.

My son Daniel ordered Ban-Mi which is fries topped with Asian slaw, roasted pork and jalapenos.


It was a nice lunch and we chatted about his recent work on a local election in Sacramento.

I must say, it was a productive day.  However, by the time I got home, I so needed my pain medication.  

It definitely helps when you are able to get outside and be present instead of sitting on the couch watching old movies.

Diet while on Chemo
I did some research last night about what I should eat while undergoing chemo and there is so much information out there.  One vlogger recommended you NOT eat any fresh fruits or vegetables unless they can be peeled.  She even went so far as to say give up salads because there is no real good way to clean them.  

Another vlogger said Cancer hates Cabbage which I love.  I think there might be a way for me to clean veggies carefully. I mean restaurants do it. 

In the interim, I picked up some frozen veggies, clear broths, yogurt, applesauce, soups, crackers and fruit with a peel i.e., cantelope, apple and bananas.  I think I'm as ready as I can be for my first treatment come Friday.

Tomorrow, God willing, I plan on shopping for hats, scarves and ear rings.

Thank you all for your comments on my hair cut.  I appreciate the support from my blog friends.  I have made some great friends here over the years and well, gracias to you all/

Well, it's time for me to settle in so I can watch the finale of Dancing with the Stars.  Gosh, they are all great dancers but I think the trophy will go to Shawn Johnson.  Just my opinion.  Later, gators.

Paula


No comments:

Post a Comment