nav bar

Home Recipes Proud Moments About Me

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

5 mile Urban Hike through Mid-town

Hola,

How are you?  I wanted to share my pictures from last night's "meet up" with Hikers and Company.  I found myself looking for excuses not to attend around 4 pm. Thank goodness I posted it on the blog. By doing that, I felt I MUST COMMIT. And so I did.

I was nervous.  Most of the persons in the group were probably over 50 years of age but there were a few younger folks as well. Isn't it funny how some people are just more friendly than others?  I am not overly friendly. I always find it difficult to approach someone and just start up a conversation.  So tonight was a step forward in pushing my comfort zone. We met up at Vallejo's restaurant on 4th & R Street. Walked towards Broadway and Riverside arriving at the Old City Cemetary.




Our guide was pretty animated.  During one of our stops, the guide stopped by an office building. Turns out, he is a co-worker of my daughter and sister.  Small world, right?

This cemetary has so much history.  Many Sacramento founders are found here like John Sutter, members of the Crocker family.  Charles Crocker constructed the transcontinental railroad.  I found myself walking through the cemetary and saying the names out loud of the various people resting here. Imagine, it's been years since their loved ones visited and said their names. I've always said I wanted to be cremated but I think I may change my mind. I was touched by the care of the  headstones here and how it was proof that someone lived.

I thought of my mother. It's been 27 years, and I have only visited it maybe 5 times. It's painful to be there, but she deserves to be remembered.  I must visit and say her name out loud.

I was feeling great on this Urban Hike.  I'm one of  handful of persons who constantly keep pace and are up front.  How's that for endurance?  This is a serious group of 35.   Oh, can you tell I haven't been sleeping lately?  Got any recommendations for dark circles?

After leaving the cemetary, we head back down towards the State Capitol.  I wish I had a decent camera because the architecture in mid-town is so interesting.  Just look at this old warehouse near the railroad crossing on R Street.  I think the arch is made from the Railroad.  These older buildings have been turned into a complex of restaurants and art places.

And the art deco signage... Wow... I was lucky to get this shot with my cell phone.  I love these old signs.  It's a great picture given the lighting and the time of night. 

Mixed drinks anyone?

I need that camera ASAP.  When we arrived to the State Capitol building, I was amazed at how beautiful it looked all lit up.  We visited a Vietnam memorial. I couldn't believe how young the men were when they died. Many in their 20s.  I've been to the capitol many times and never visited the various monuments around.

I spoke with a co-worker today and suggested we take our international students arriving for our exchange programs on this urban hike. It's a great 'touristy-like' way to see Sacramento and marvel at it's history.

I am so glad I stepped out of my comfort zone. This group meets twice a week.  I'm telling you it was a great way to spend my evening while Daniel is working out of town.  It beats sitting on the couch or on the computer.

The Hike and tour took us 2 hours to complete.  Many stayed at the restaurant for drinks but seeing it was 8 p.m., I came home, roasted veggies and ate while watching Dancing with the Stars.

It was a good night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment