nav bar

Home Recipes Proud Moments About Me

Friday, January 20, 2012

I dared myself to want more… and it’s wonderful.

Whew, what a day.  The moment I arrived to work, I was pushed out of my comfort zone. I freaked and then reminded self “this is what you wanted.  This feeling is a reminder that you’re living.”  I worked through my challenge and told my self “just work through it—that’s how you’ll get past it.” Isn’t that true in life, in general?

A few months before I stopped blogging, I felt like something was missing in my life.  I wanted more. I wanted a lifestyle ala bitchcakes.  I wanted THIS LIFE and I debated leaving Daniel to get it.  I envisioned seeing myself in this hip apartment, biking to work and living differently….  I thought leaving my significant other would afford me this lifestyle. I wanted to “blow up my life so to speak.”  I had semi-challenged myself in the fitness areas of my life…. I climbed Mt. Tallac and was pushed to my physical limits  and I quit the “grandma zumba class” that I’d been doing and joined a zen master class.  Whew, now I know what it’s like to work out even when I think I can’t take no more…
I accepted the fact that I was living in an increasingly decaying urban neighborhood and I decided to cut my losses and sell. Found a great place, near bicycle paths and great eateries.  With that done—I debated leaving my job of 21 years.  Could I buy a taco truck?  Instead, I had a frank discussion with my boss. I needed to be challenged.  I felt like a den mother in my current job.  How do you tell your boss “you’re paying me too much money to shop at Smart n Final and babysit grad students.”  It panned out and I’m being challenged intellectually. I’m making decisions and what’s more---I feel alive.  You can’t just wait for  you life to change. You have to recognize that “hmmm” feeling and shake  things up. It turns out, I did not have to leave Daniel to have a different life.  Daniel and I are different. it’s okay that he wants carnitas y tortillas and I a black bean burger?  I dared myself to want more… and it’s wonderful.
This morning, I dressed for work. I put on some old jeans, boots and a gray top. My ass was sticking out and my thights felt thick and you know what I said to self “I love my curves…” I feel great for an almost 50 year old woman.  This is paulawannacracker and I’m loving the view from here. 

4 comments:

  1. whoo hoo. You wanted your life to change and you changed it. You know what...you inspire me! I have been contemplating what my life will be in a few years..and I don't want to fumble towards it blindly...I need to decide what I want it to look like and go at full tilt..will it pan out just as I envision? No..but at least it will be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such an inspiring story. I've been afraid to make changes to my personal life. I want to find my passion in my career that pays and makes me happy everyday. I think that is the only missing in my almost complete life.

    Rosa @stuffingmyfeelings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ cris and rosa--life doesn't always work out the way we want it to but and i think when you reach a certain age we start questioning who we are or better, who we want to be. I think blogging community gives you a glimpse at what your life can be (even though i think not all bloggers put their "real" life out there)... Life is a constant assessment. Somewhere I read that fear can be a good thing and that helped me because I wasn't feeling any of that in my day to day life. Rosa and Chris we gotta fight the inertia (did i spell that right?) luv you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I "blew" my life up around ten years ago. September 11 gave me the push and I went with it. No, no regrets. Is it everything I wanted? Probably not, but it's so much better than what I had. So glad to see you in Blogland.

    ReplyDelete