nav bar

Home Recipes Proud Moments About Me

Monday, October 3, 2016

Do it because you can

Happy Monday friends. I hope you had an amazing weekend.  I had a nice weekend but there was an ounce of sadness and envy but only just an ounce, as my happiness far outweighes such emotions.

Fitness Goals
Last November, I went shopping for warm workout gear because I was determined to complete a half-marathon in 2016. I got very close in 2016 by running 12 miles, but I hurt my knee at the pre-Urban Cow run.  Unfortunately, I got pneumonia and then a few months later, the cancer diagnosis.  You may not understand this, but the most challenging part of  battle is not being able to have fitness goals. I know that sounds stupid. But, I love hiking, biking and my workouts.  Nothing makes me happier than hearing the leaves crunch under my feet while walking in the fall.  I've had to adjust my thinking and that's okay because I'm still able to enjoy so much of my wonderful life. No pitty party here.... That's not my intention with this post. I'm extremely grateful for each day. Fitness goals or no fitness goals. 

I was excited to cheer on my daughter Jessica as she completed her Urban Cow Marathon. She got her 13.1 sticker and I'm super proud of her.  I'm very happy that my daughter Sabrina and my son Daniel joined me at the finish line to cheer her on. I'm incredibly blessed.  My knows me well. He whispered. I know mother you would have loved to be out there with Jessica.  I replied that I squandered my youth and that they (my kids) should seize their youth and just go for it.  White water rafting, Spartan race, bike 100 miles whatever it is... JUST DO IT...  Good health is everything and it shouldn't be squandered.  Do it because you can.

I couldn't help but admiring the runners of all ages. From children to seniors. All running their race.... I snapped this picture of this gentlemen. How funny.



My friend Marsa who is 64 years young, ran the marathon as well. I so wanted to be her.  She just biked 100 miles by herself.  Talk about fitness goals.  She wants to train for Ironman.  You can see why I was a tad jealous, but surprisingly, I wasn't sad enough to cry.  Nope. Too much to be happy about.

While my son-in-law and I waited for my daughter at mile 6, I noted the Tower Bridge that separates downtown Sacramento and West Sacramento was closed off for the race.  I just had to take advantage of the fact that the bridge was closed. I've driven across this bridge many times as a kid and an adult.  Nope. I photo had to be taken.



I had to get a selfie.

Man! that shot made my day.

After we cheered my daughter at the finish line, my kids and I went to Dantorell's for crepes.

It began to rain as we were eating and it was just a beautiful way to end the morning.  I'm so glad that I was able to cheer others on in their fitness goals despite not having many myself.  It's true that some people want a new car, a new home and others just want good health.... I'm extremely grateful for each day. It felt amazing to be out of the house at 6 a.m.  Surrounded by people of all ages who love to run. I was happy for them because I know what it means to have goals and to achieve them..... While I may not be able to run, bike and or hike for long distances. I can still find satisfaction in being outdoors with like minded individuals. 

I hope my children continue to have health and fitness goals.  I truly believe that if you want to be like my friend Marsa running a half-marathon at age 64, you must start now...  When I first met her, she had never ran before. She and I did TRI training together and I recall her first run and I was happy to be right there with her.  I love that I was part of an amazing group of woman who inspired one another.

While that chapter is semi-closed, and leaves me with some sadness that I must acknowledge and move on... No sense is wallowing in it.  Having cancer does not feel good, I can choose to feel good about the good things around me.  Sunday, it was sitting in the sun and taking a selfie in the middle of a bridge. It's all about moments and perspective.

Later gators
Paula

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your daughter! How could she not be successful with you for a mom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Enz.... She's an awesome athlete....

    ReplyDelete