nav bar

Home Recipes Proud Moments About Me

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Thursday Thoughts


Hey friends, how’s your week treating you?  Can I just say this is my 4th week back at work and I’m absolutely grateful for some normalness.  Keeping busy is the best medicine one can take when dealing with a terminal illness.  I know that sounds odd but it’s true.  I’m grateful for the distraction.   Even the questions from co-workers.  It’s not easy to say “I’m on chemo indefinitely.”  when asked about my treatment.  Every time I say it, I myself ask “what does that mean.”  I’ve decided not to think about that until I have to think about it. Does that make sense? Prolly not.

All I can do is just smile and say “Luckily, it’s all manageable and I have more good days than bad days.”  I was asked if I’m in pain and what am I taking? Again, I say “essential oils and a little cannabis.”  One co-worker said “I wouldn’t share that… but then why ask me?  I’m an open book and if you ask me a question, I tend to answer.  It makes my life easier.

I have an important oncology appointment coming up next week. My doctor will go over my recent scan which caused me to read my initial scans. You know, I just couldn’t read them prior to treatment. It’s like the more you know, the scarier shit becomes.  I’m amazed at how calm I am right now… I know God gives me strength to endure all things and I’m grateful for hope and his grace and mercy. 

While researching the side effects of my medication, I was relieved to hear that the weight gain that I have in my mid-section is due to steroids, as is my veracious appetite. I also learned that one of the side effects of steroids is “moon face”… Yep, I definitely have moon face. 


 
I'm not going to lie... There are moments that I really miss me.... The old me.... The me before cancer?  I recall starting paulawannacracker with the goal of exercising more and losing weight and maybe share the journey to a healthier self.  That was then...



She's still here with me. I just need to pull her out of her ass from time to time and remind her that cancer doesn't have to be the focus of her life but there are moments where it's tough.  I want to fight and be here for my kids, grandkids and husband. I am more than this disease.... I am paulawannacracker and I am tough as nails.... To hell with moon face, steroids, and stupid questions.  It's all about today and I'm just pretty happy to be here.  If you happen to stumble onto this blog and are dealing with illness. I tell you to hold onto hope. Hold onto you and do your best not to let the disease you are fighting take away your essence.  Yes, steroids affect my mood but it's up to me not to lose myself in those side effects.  I'm grateful for my job, for routine, for a place (yes, even this here blog) where I'm reminded of who and what I am.... I am a child of the most high and I can do all things through him. He strengthens me and gives me hope.

Hope... Isn't that the best?
 
Later gators.

2 comments: