nav bar

Home Recipes Proud Moments About Me

Monday, September 19, 2016

Making lemonade out of lemons

Happy Monday friends.  I hope you had a good weekend. Mine was filled with my kids and grandkids.  I love Sundays because that usually means I've cooked a pot of posole, soup or some other meal and the kids come over for a visit. It's great when all my little grands get together. They're TERRIBLE when they're all together. For example, last weekend, they picked all the lemons and oranges that were budding on my trees in the backyard.  SMH... What do you do? I layed down the law for starters.

This weekend, we had water balloon fights and our shenanigans involved buckets of ice water. It is still pretty warm in Sacramento. It was a good time for sure.  Having stage 4 cancer, you worry about stuff like "will they remember me fondly."  I hate taking pictures but I've embraced it since it's a way to say "HEY, I WAS HERE." 

In wanting "normalness" and "routine, I decided to return to work part-time. I knew immediately that I wanted to wear a wig each day instead of wearing a scarf as below. 
Naturally, I was apprehensive about returning since I no longer have hair, eybrows or eyelashes... But thanks to makeup, there's something I can do about that... I hope by saying this it doesn't make me vain but I have always had great hair and perfect eyebrows....  Nothing like losing some of your attributes to humble you.  I've had to dig deep and let go some of that...

He I am a few weeks ago when I still had some eyebrows.... Posting this here is liking standing naked in a crowded room.  Cancer is a bitch and you just have to fight back...

Here I am last week getting my weekly chemo treatment.  Truthfully, it's not been so bad. The worse part of chemo is the nurses trying to get a vein for the IV.




On Selecting a Wig

I was sure that when I went back to work, that I wanted to wear a wig. It think the awkard thing about wearing scarves and hats is that people tend to stare and the last thing I want is a pitty party or having cancer be the only topic we talk about, so I was off to find a wig that didn't make me look more ridiculous.

After several visits, I bought this Remy Lace Wig with real hair. Gosh, when I put it on, I was amazed at how authentic it looked. I have not had long in in maybe 6 years.

 
Here I am my first day back at work.  What do you think? For starters, I'm super happy and second, I like wearing the wig pulled back. It looks more natural.

I am also getting better at dong my eyebrows and hiding the fact that I have no eyelashes.

I tell you I'm making lemonade out of lemons....


1 comment:

  1. You look beautiful and strong. And your eyes radiate love.

    ReplyDelete