nav bar

Home Recipes Proud Moments About Me

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Andouille Sausage with Peppers

Hi friend, I wanted to share a recent find I came across at Walmart.  It's Smoked Andouille sausage with  Spanish paprika, black pepper and garlic.   This sausage is made with lean chicken and is 140 calories per sausage.  I usually start my Sundays with food prep for the week and this was perfect for my lunches.  I sliced peppers, onions and browned them in a little coconut oil, then when the peppers and onions were soft, I added the sliced sausage and cooked a little while longer.


This dish would be perfect topped on a bed of scrambled eggs or paired with quinoa or brown rice.

The next time I make this dish, I will plan my sides a little better.  Yesterday, I ended up eating my entire batch during lunch and dinner.  I easily consumed 600 calories.  At least I thoroughly enjoyed my lunch and dinner and ate it in two meals. Instead of face planting in one sitting.  Eating smaller portions is tough when you're a volume eater lol.

Nopales (cactus) and Eggs


Another "go to" dish is Nopales.  Have you heard of them?  If not, it's diced cactus and you can buy it already prepared in your Hispanic food section of your grocery store.  You just need to rinse it carefully before eating and it's best to pair it with something else because it has a tart flavor. I often buy this fresh and cook it myself by boiling garlic, onions, seranno peppers and cilantro along with the fresh cactus.  You boil it for about 10 minutes but you must rinse it carefully because it becomes slimmey.   It's not for everyone and I grew up eating  this dish in various forms.  I love mixing it with pico de gallo and placing it on a tostada with avocado.  Try it.  Don't be scared.

This time, I opened the jar, rinsed the cactus and then drained the excess water.  I took a pan and diced up onions, and garlic until tender, then added the cactus and cooked for about 10 minutes, stirring often.  Then I added my eggs and topped with hot sauce. I was out of fresh tomatoes, so next time I'll add that to the dish.  Here I ate it alone on a plate, but I often make a burrito using Brown Rice tortillas. Of course you must have hot sauce.  Just sayin....


I'm looking forward to experimenting more in the kitchen. I'm currently obsessed with Guy's Grocery Games.  I just love to see what the contestants do with odd items from the grocery store.  Pickled Pigs feet anyone?  No thank you.

Anyways, I hope your day is going well.  I'll catch you all later.

Best,
Paula

1 comment: