nav bar

Home Recipes Proud Moments About Me

Monday, September 21, 2015

Persevere



Happy Monday all. Hope you had a great weekend.  Mine was busy. I spent Friday with my grandson volunteering at an Immigration Fair.  Many current and former law students joined attorneys to share the process and procedures of being a U.S. citizen and to assist people with the DACA (The dream Act). I know immigration is a controversial and complicated subject, and one that hits close to home.  I mean, I was born in Texas which is just a hop-skip-and-a-jump from the border, so there is that…. Okay, I’ll change the subject because it’s a heated topic around these parts.

I am entering week 8 of my Urban Cow Half Marathon training. On Sunday, we did a pre-race run of the course. You could either do 11 or 13 miles. I chose the 11 miles and it was longest run ever. It was incredible to see young and old doing this race. 

I got behind a 3.15 hour pacer. She was power walking the entire time.  I was reminded again to embrace the power walk. Especially when your power walk is faster than you running.

This was a test run so I started my morning with oats and pumpkin.  I grabbed a water, and I had two GUs in my running belt.  My running partner did not have breakfast and no food so I gave her my running GUs. It was the right thing to do. After mile 9, I was losing steam. I had no more water. I was careful to take small sips.  Luckily, there was a 2nd water station set up with Gatorade. I filled my bottle as I knew I needed the sugar and calories.  After mile 10, it really got HARD.  Two power walkers had passed me. My friend was was ahead of me the first 8 miles was now walking. Her ankle was hurting. I felt bad about leaving her behind but this was pre-race. I knew the Urban Cow volunteer riding his bike up and down the course would continue checking on her. He had passed me like 5. Does this make me a bad friend?  I struggled with going ahead. She said she would just walk so I powered through...

The last 20 minutes I the run was difficult.  I did a combo of jog/walk. Another woman came behind me as asked me if I had eaten? When I said no, she handed me a protein bar. I was so grateful. I started to eat straight away.  By the time I got to the Finish to check- out, my GPS had said I completed 11.78 miles with an average pace of 14.5 minutes.  2:53 minutes I had completed nearly 12 hours.  I was so happy to be done.  I wondered if I could have done another 2 miles.  That course is longer… Do I have the inner and physical strength to complete the half?  Well, if I could do 12, I better do the 13.1 because if I don’t do it, I’ll never forgive myself.  



I wailed for my friend.  A couple of the other walkers were worried about her too.  I started to walk back to look for her and then I saw her.  I was so relieved. As she wen to check-in, I walked to get my car and pick her up.  I figured with walking to look for my friend, and getting there car, I probably did the 13.1 miles and guess what? I DID IT!

It’s interesting what goes through your mind when you’re running and walking for nearly 3 hours.  I played no music… it was just me and my thoughts.  There are some parts of the course, I can’t even remember and others I totally remember.  The last stretch on the River Road was incredibly difficult. But I knew where I was… I recalled how 2.5 years ago, I walked that road after one of my chemo treatments. I felt so thankful to be on that road again.  It was like the good Lord reminding me… you are capable. You are strong… You are alive.  Thank you Diosito… 


I am always reminded that I may not be where I want to be but I am certainly not where I was… And if I find myself in a place where I don’t’ want to be again, I know I’ll be okay… I know with God’s grace, I’ll have the strength to persevere. 

TTFN
Paula

2 comments:

  1. You totally rocked it! I hope your friends ankle is ok! I just wrote this morning about running without music (mine was because I forgot to charge my headphones...ha ha ha...but I knew it and ran silent versus using a wired headphone). I kinda liked it!

    ReplyDelete