nav bar

Home Recipes Proud Moments About Me

Friday, February 14, 2014

Here's to self-discovery and the relationship with self


Happy Lovers Day to you all.  My Daniel isn’t a gift giver or a romantical person, but he does spoil me all the days of the year so I’ll let him off the hook if he doesn’t get me a card.  It would be wonderful if he’d write me a love letter. But if he doesn’t, it’s okay because when I arrived to work, I found this near my desk.
I have a co-worker who is very thoughtful and talented. Can you believe she made this lovely cake and cupcakes? 
I grabbed a cupcake for later because I was pretty full from breakfast.
 
I had a hankering for bacon. I cooked it in the oven while I showered and dressed for work. Then I scrambled up an egg and wrapped it all in a brown tortilla and off I went to work.  I must remember to start my mornings with protein. It certainly helps curb the need for sweets. This cupcake is still on my desk. Of course, I'm guilty of eating a rose pedal. LOL.
My morning also started with a little hair experiment. My chemo curls are out of control. I am trying to embrace them and mostly, I can calm them with hair product but as it grows, it's become quite unmanageable.
See  what I mean?  A closer look at this picture and I realize I need to visit a salon to clean up my sideburns.  Yea, that's another thing about chemo, but I'll save that for another post.  Back to my hair experiment.

I find that washing my hair every morning is drying it out. Dry curly hair is not your friend. So instead, I decided pull it back with a hair thingy I found laying around the house. Note to self: Buy hair accessories. It's time! 

Here's a front view.
 
Side view, kinda.

And here's an older picture when my hair first began to grow out. 

This picture was taking in San Francisco and I was pretty self-conscious. The good thing about hats and scarves is you can hide behind them.  This outing was pretty significant in that I decided to just embrace it.  Own it.  Cancer certainly humbles you and gives you a lesson in vanity.  We never know what we are capable of until we're tested.  I have heard survivors say they were grateful for their cancer. I don't know if I can say that, but I am grateful for the lessons and strength I discovered along the way.

Here's to self-discovery and the relationship one has with self. It's pretty much one of the most important relationships you'll have.

TTFN,
Paula





 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 


 

 

2 comments: