nav bar

Home Recipes Proud Moments About Me

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

El Mercadito

Hi my friends, how's it going? Sorry I've been absent. Daniel and I took a "spur of the moment" trip to Los Angeles. It's rare that he and I have time off at the same time.  Besides, I gotta tell you after Chemo #3, I could use some R&R. 

We visited Disneyland but I'll save that for another post. first, I want to share our visit to  El Mercadito in East Los Angeles. This little market is pretty darn cool. As we entered the parking lot, t here is a shrine to La Virgen de Guadalupe. I grew up with my mother lighting candles to this virgencita so I was pleased to see her as we parked our car.

This Mercado is three stories high and as we walked through the aisles. Many of the vendors encouraged us to ask questions regarding their merchandise. Daniel loved this place. He said it was identical to the mercados in Mexico.  He was completely in his element. He bartered with the woman.

 As we arrived at the various Moles, Daniel went on and on with the woman. They encouraged him to taste the various types of Mole.  Now, if I didn't know better, I would think Daniel was flirting with these woman.  Apparently, one HAGGLES in markets and it's not uusual to carry on the way he was... I MEAN, WHAT DO I KNOW... I'm from Texas.

 After we tasted the various types, I selected the Mole Poblano since it was a  spicier than the others.  I paid my $8 per pound and went on to the next stand. 

I absolutely fell in love with the colors at the tried fruit below. Man, did I enjoy looking at the various vendors and the foods they were cooking. It was incredibly authentic.  [Psss... I ate so much good food in the last 3 days that I'm seriously avoiding the scale. I've decided to join Weight Watchers just as soon as I'm done with C stuff.  I seriously thought I could eat healthy while undergoing chemo but I tend to gravitate towards carbs and well, carbs equal calories equals weight gain]. Anyways, sorry for getting off track.

Once we returned home, I was anxious cook the Mole. I was instructed by the ladies to boil chicken, add onions, garlic, salt and pepper. Once the chicken was done, I simply add the Mole to the pot. The tricky part was knowing how much stock to add to my $8 worth of Mole? I had to use my best judgment.

Just as I had feared, I added too much stock and my Mole was thinner than I wanted.  However, the thinner Mole was delicious. I only tasted it and my son absolutely loved the flavor. Daniel did not care for the Mole. Apparently, he only likes his mama's Mole and he does not like chocolate in his Mole. I simply thought all Moles contained chocolate. I was corrected. 

So what do you think? Would you eat this in a restaurant? 

I saved the left over Mole and froze it. I think it would be devine over tamales or eggs.

Anyways, I couldn't wait to share my visit to El Mercadito. I hope your day is excellente!!!

I'll be back later with pics from Disneyland.

Later, gators.

2 comments:

  1. Que rico! I love all the colors. Great pics. I'm already hungry and these pics didn't help. Can't wait to see pics of Disney.

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete