nav bar

Home Recipes Proud Moments About Me

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Adios 2012

Putting 2012 behind me.

Hiking Woods Lake again with my wonderful co-workers


Completing a 5k and obstacle course with my daughters Jessica and Sabrina.  This was the most rewarding part of my year. The fact that I was physically fit to do this and was able to climb walls and a steep slide was awesome. Thinking back, I did all that with cancer and didn't even know it.  Imagine what I can do without it?

Feeling confident with jogging and zumba...  Love that exercise was part of my lunch hour and evenings.

Climbing Mt. Tallac for the 2nd time. I made it just beneath the summit.  It was a challenge coming down the mountain and I swore I wouldn't do it again... Now all I can think about is climbing another. Again, I hiked 12 hours with cancer.... and didn't know it.

Spent a wonderful weekend with friends in South Lake Tahoe. The view, jacuzzi, company and food was amazing.  Best part was riding the Gondola to the top with a view of all South Lake Tahoe and Carson Pass.  Amazing way to spend my 50th birthday.

\
Aww... my discovery of Goat Cheese.  I fell in love instantly....


There were some wonderful things about 2012.  So I can't wish it away.  I do wish I could have learned the lessons of the last few months without the help of breast cancer.  That I can do without.  Last night, after ringing-in 2013 very quietly, I dressed for bed and as I put away prosthesis, I began to cry quiet tears.  It was more a sadness than anything. A sadness that even though I am in remission and have two more treatments to go, the realization that we all will leave this earth one day is sobering. Then I smiled thanking God for his mercy and grace.

Today, I get tired easily.  I don't have the same stamina as I had months ago, but that's okay because it's temporary. I love life. My family and Daniel very much. I want to savor each and every day and that's how I will choose to live 2013.   

I am hungry for life.  I cannot wait to get back to work. To zumba. To hiking and most importantly to my kids.  I want them to see their mother living as vibrant as she can.  I want them to be proud of me... I am proud of me... 

Here's to making 2013 count and telling your loved ones how much you love them. Please, don't wait until something bad happens to appreciate all that you have.

Blessing,

Paula

2 comments:

  1. I love the message of your post! Here's to a fabulous 2013 for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula, I have not been around to the blogs much..and quite frankly..when I was here I didn't see the cancer thing. Holy shit girl. I'm sorry. I have read back through november and realized that I missed the whole thing. Far from whining about it, you have been incredibly stoic! God bless you and your family. I am so sorry that I have not been here. Here's to a cancer free 2013. It seems you are already on your way!

    ReplyDelete