nav bar

Home Recipes Proud Moments About Me

Thursday, July 31, 2014

showing up

Happy Thursday all.  I hope you are staying cool?  Cuz it's warm here in Sacramento. 

It's my third week of TRI training. I cannot believe I kinda swam a lap and made it to 12 feet. It was scary but I learned something at my half-way point... For a second, I was going to panic. I kept calm and knew that if I just kept my head down, kicked and moved my arms, I would make it. I MADE IT.  It wasn't pretty. But my team (pictured below) kept chanting YOU KAN DO IT.  It was pretty empowering. Love the woman at Kaia Fit.


You have no idea how I feel in the water. My heart is racing like crazy. I feel it in my chest but I know I have to push through it. If it wasn't for this one coach, I probably be holding onto the side of the pool.

I am not sure if I will be anywhere ready to compete come September 21st.  I didn't join the team to compete. I was doing it for the challenge.  I figured by SHOWING UP I might learn something and maybe by some great miracle, I'd learn to swim. 

After Monday's workout, I some how have allowed myself to entertain the idea of actually swimming a 1/2 mile. I've biked 11 miles before and even ran a 5k but I've never done 3 events back to back.  I wake up in the mornings and head to the gym and the thought "paula you are insane... act yoru age woman!" but I push it aside and decide to SHOW UP.  The fact that I'm showing up is awesome enough...  or so I thought. 

Here's the thing. I haven't wanted something so much in a long time. I am working hard.  I want to learn how to swim.  I fight the feeling of being mediocre every time I show up.  But I decide to be present.  I decide to work harder. I have a private swimming lesson tomorrow. I'm committed to using my lunch hour to practice. Who knows, just maybe... just maybe I'm a contender?

The world is full of surprises.

Later gators, I'm off to bike ride... Next up... HILLS.

Stay good.
Paula

Paula

1 comment:

  1. BRAVO! Showing up is the hardest part sometimes. :)

    Happy Weekend Friend!

    ReplyDelete