nav bar

Home Recipes Proud Moments About Me

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Accepting limitations or pushing past them? Slippery slope!

Whew, it's Wednesday and the weekend is almost here.  Speaking of weekends, I wanted to share a spicy treat I found at the Folsom swap meet on Saturday. It's called a "mangoneada." It's basically a spicy tamarind drink poured over crushed ice with slices of fresh mango. They top it off with a nice tamarind candy.  Yum. This was pretty delicious.

Mangoneada

Physical limitations post breast cancer

I am in my second week of boot camp and am loving it.  On Monday, it got pretty intense.  I found myself cheating a little with the ladder jumps. I am so uncoordinated.  You are suppose to run to get as many rounds as possible during your timed workout.  I walked... I know I was cheating myself or was I?

It's tough to accept your limitations. I have limitations?  Ain't nobody got time for that!  Especially NOT after breast cancer. Not only do I want to do all the exercises, but I want to rock them!  We all have a competitive side and maybe that's what I'm up against. My rational side says "easy my friend" and the bitch in me says "pick it up!"

I've been thinking about where I am physically, 8 months after my last chemo treatment.  It's not a bad place all things considered. After all, didn't doctors just pump my body with poison to kill good and bad cells? Didn't I just have a double mastectomy less 11 months ago?  I remind self that "showing up to boot camp and trying YOUR best already makes YOU a winner. Easy girlfriend.  You'll get there."

I am to turn in my goal sheet to my trainer tonight. At this point, my only goal is to rock every workout.  To not cheat myself by walking... but giving it all I got. At this point and time, maybe that's the best I can do... or is it?  See, the competitiveness in me rears her ugly head.

God willing, next year, I'll be closer to another goals such as doing an unassisted pull-up.  Yea, your arm hurts where the lymph nodes were removed... Yea, you gotta be careful but it's possible?  Slow and steady Paula... It's always been your mantra. If that doesn't work, remember what your madre used to say, "One day at a time."  

Those words will remind self to have patience, and to look at how far I've come. All in good measure.

MEASURE.... that's a very powerful word. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have found the right balance between accepting your limitations but also pushing through some of the walls that those limitations have created!

    ReplyDelete