nav bar

Home Recipes Proud Moments About Me

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

creative in the cocina

Eating bland is difficult.  But you know me, always one to rise to the occasion.  I had left over flank steak cooked with red and green peppers simmered in a fresh tomato sauce.  This was a tad spicy for me but what is a girl gonna do when you just need FLAVAH?

Left over Chicana (flank steak, onions, garlic, red and green peppers simmered in a tomato broth)
 I toasted 1 cup of Jasmin rice in a sauce pan.

Pulled a container of sofrito I had stored in the refrigerator. Every latin culture has their own version of sofrito.  My basic recipe is below but you could definitely add tomatoes and red peppers for an added layer of flavor.

Sofrito
2 cloves of garlic
1 bunch of cilantro
1 pasilla pepper
1 green pepper.
1 onion
1 quart of chicken stock all blended together and stored in freezer.


Once my rice was browned, and sofrito and chicken stock added to the pan, I let come to a boil and then lowered to a simmer until nice and flaky.

Tada!!!  My breakfast/lunch of arroz verde and steak Chicana.  I'm so lucky that I was able to keep this wonderful meal down....

I am trying to think of creative things to do with my time home and I thought maybe I could bake.  I do NOT KNOW HOW TO BAKE so maybe this is an opportunity.  I have a pumpkin and I was thinking cookies. What do you think? Too ambitious?

2 comments:

  1. That meal looks fantastic! Glad you were able to enjoy it. I am the worst baker ever, so I can not give advice on what to make. lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks so yummy. Our sofrito Dominican/Puerto Rican has so many more ingredients and this sounds so much simpler and tasty looking. Glad you were able to keep it down after so much effort--chopping anything and then cooking it is work.

    ReplyDelete